Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Better Alternatives For Getting Money


This started as a response to one of the questions posted on a blog. Half way through I realised I did not know the answer. Full way through I realised I did not understand the question. 
Hence, I deleted whatever crap I had written, and here is the brand new improved response. I have utmost respect for the original poster and not understanding is a state I frequently find myself in, and request in advance that you read it with your funny bone close at hand. 



Original Question : 
What Are Other Better Alternatives For Getting Money Than Taking A Loan With High Interest?

Dear Niru, 
 You have, in 15 words encapsulated my lifetime quest. I have been contemplating a solution to the above since I was 20 years old. I still haven’t found a perfect answer. Couple of imperfect solutions to your desire for money, and I reiterate these are imperfect to the extent that none of them have satisfied my inner self, are -
 1. Get a job. This seem to work for most people. The process involves somebody paying you for doing some things they want. If it seems like a very old profession, let me assure you it is not. This is usually more intellectual.  The process of getting a job is reasonably straight forward.
       Firstly, find some area where you think you are reasonably competent (and remember it is enough that you think you are competent at this stage). Then completely scratch those jobs from your mind. Pursuing those jobs will only lead to mental stress and anxiety. 
        Then apply for a Call Centre job. I understand from my varied informers that all you need is an ability to speak and basic intelligence and motor skills to dial a phone. If you lack the intelligence and motor skills do not worry. They have software's which do this for you. But you will need the ability to open your mouth and force the air out from your lungs in an intelligible manner ( they will usually give you a prepared script which will detail out the correct prosody).   This is a critical requirement and the reason you don’t see many mutes in a call centre. 
 2 Donate a Kidney. I say this mainly because this is a popular organ to donate. You can choose any organ that you like or feel particularly well endowed with, as long as you have two of those. Do not donate your heart. This will lead to your death. But remember not all of these have a ready market. 
          In my youth I have considered many organs like brain, nostrils, ear lobes etc. But I realised that I was very fond of them and couldn’t really stand the thought of parting with them. Hence I gave up pursuing such avenues for getting easy money.  
 3. Sell some thing you own, like an house, furniture etc. The important thing to remember is that once you have sold, it does not belong to you. So make sure you have another house to stay in or a chair to sit in. If you have a roof (it should also have walls so that elements do not seep in and more importantly hold up the roof ) or a chair to sit, the rest are superfluous.
         Some people insist on a kitchen but in these modern times it is very convenient to order, and hence not an absolute necessity. A toilet is a good thing to have but when the whole country is a toilet this should not be a big hindrance in your quest for money. 
 4. Steal. If you are not very ambitious or your money requirements are moderate, you can become an ordinary thief. This is risky and I do not recommend it. A better solution is to join politics. Find a party with low entry barriers (shouldn’t be a very hard thing to do)  and join.
        Eventually they will be forced to give you an official title and from there it is plain sailing. You just charge for everything. In some of our bigger political organizations, they even charge you to use the toilet. This will over  period of time make you very rich and you don’t have to worry about things like interest or repayments. 
        Niru, I trust I have given you some ideas to get money without taking a loan. As I mentioned before these are not perfect, but these are what I have identified during my life. I must add that I have not been very successful in implementing any of the above and hence remain quite poor (though I own a house with a roof and a chair).
        But you might be a of a stouter heart and therefore I wish you all the best in your pursuit. If you find a better way please share it with me.